We advocate for the interests, rights and wellbeing of children and young people

For children and young people

If you are worried about something, or needing some help it is always good to talk to your parents, caregivers or an adult that you trust. There are some websites and phone-lines that might be able to help you too.

If you’re worried about your safety or well-being, call:  

  • Police – 111 
  • Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children - 0508 326 459

If you’d like to know about your rights:

If you’re not happy with Oranga Tamariki and would like to make a complaint:

Remember that you can ask a trusted adult or friend to help you get in contact with Oranga Tamariki. You can also get support from Voyce – Whakarongo Mai.

Voyce - Whakarongo Mai  0800 4VOYCE (0800 486 923) 

If you're a young person or child living in care and would like to connect with others who have had similar experiences, you can talk to VOYCE – Whakarongo Mai. A big part of what they do is organise fun and engaging events for people with care experience. They’re an independent connection and advocacy service, separate from us and Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children. They’re there to support you and be 100% on your side. 

Free legal help for children and young people throughout Aotearoa.   

Safe to Talk 
0800 044 334 
A sexual harm helpline - 24/7, confidential and free.

0800 376 633 and free text 234

Youthline works with young people, their families and those supporting young people. It’s made up of volunteer and paid staff members and has centres around New Zealand.  

The Lowdown 
0800 111 757 or text 5626

Website and free 24/7 helpline to help young New Zealanders recognise and understand depression and anxiety.  

0800 942 8787 from any mobile phone, landline or phone box. 

A safe place for you to talk about anything at all. Monday to Friday 12noon -11pm and Sat/Sun 3pm – 11pm. Or you can chat online every day 5pm – 10pm. 

For parents, whānau and caregivers

If you’re concerned about the immediate safety or wellbeing of a child or young person, call:

  • Police on 111
  • Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children on 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459) 

Parent Help  Call 0800 568 856

Help for parents with all parenting challenges from those everyday situations to the most serious issue of child abuse.

The Family Service Directory 
Information and contact details about agencies that can help families throughout New Zealand. 

Grandparents Raising Grandchildren  
Call 0800 472 637 or text your name to GRG for Support: 027 3980388 and they will call you back. 

Are You OK 
0800 456 450 

Family Violence Information Line

Community Law Centre - including the YouthLaw service

Free legal help from legal professionals in your region. 

Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)

Free and independent advice about your rights and responsibilities. Find a CAB in your region: www.cab.org.nz 

0800 726 666

Free 24/7 helpline providing confidential emotional support to people experiencing loneliness, depression, despair, distress or suicidal feelings.  

Previously in care?

The Royal Commission of Inquiry into Historical Abuse in State Care

If you have concerns about your treatment while in state care and you are now over 18, the Commission has been set up listen to stories about the experiences of people in state care and examine ways to stop further abuse.  

The Child Rights Line

For free, independent advice on children’s rights:

If you have immediate concerns about a child's wellbeing


  • Oranga Tamariki on 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459) or
  • Police on 111

More information about the signs of abuse and neglect and how to get help (Oranga Tamariki website)