We advocate for the interests, rights and wellbeing of children and young people

If you're concerned about the safety and wellbeing of a child, this page lets you know what you can do.  If you're already working with Oranga Tamariki, you can find out more about your rights and how you can make a complaint. 

Questions on this page:

I'm concerned about the safety of a child - what can I do?

If you see or hear about a child who is in immediate danger, don’t wait - and don’t assume someone else is acting. Contact the Police on 111 or Oranga Tamariki on 0508 326 459.

We're all responsible for keeping children safe in our families and communities, so it's important to talk to someone about your concerns. You can

  • Talk to the parent or another member of the family or whānau about your concerns
  • Talk to someone else who knows the family well, eg, a friend, neighbour, workmate or teacher
  • Link the family up with others who can support them
  • Talk to someone experienced, for a different point of view, or for ideas about how to help.
  • Call a helpline for free, confidential advice and support:
    • Parent Help – 0800 568 856
    • Oranga Tamariki – 0508 326 459
    • Are You OK – 0800 456 450 (Family Violence Information Line).

If you’re worried that nothing’s happening, let someone in your neighbourhood or community know, like a community worker, health worker, church leader or kaumātua from the local marae. Trust your judgement and keep trying until your concerns are taken seriously.

More information about the signs of abuse and neglect and how to get help (Oranga Tamariki website)

You can find more information about the signs of abuse and neglect and how to get help, on the Children's Action Plan website

I'm not happy with Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children - how do I make a complaint? 

If you’re not happy with the service you’ve received:

1. First try to resolve the issue with the social worker or the office you’ve been working with

2. If you’re not happy with their response, you can make a formal complaint by:

3. If you’re not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can ask for the Chief Executive’s Advisory Panel to review your complaint.  To ask for a review, write to: National Manager, Review Secretariat, Oranga Tamariki, PO Box 1556, Wellington 6140

4. If you’re not satisfied with the outcome of the Panel’s review, you can contact:

My child is in the care of Oranga Tamariki - what are their rights?

There is a children's charter that lets children know about the rights they have when they're living in the care of Oranga Tamariki. 

If your child isn't happy about their care, they have the right to make a complaint. 

They can also contact VOYCE – Whakarongo Mai, the independent connection and advocacy service for care experienced children and young people.

The Child Rights Line

For free, independent advice on children’s rights:

Children's Convention

Articles 18 to 21 and 25 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child outline the rights of children at home, if they are adopted, and if they are in foster care.

If you have immediate concerns about a child's wellbeing


  • Oranga Tamariki on 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459) or
  • Police on 111

More information about the signs of abuse and neglect and how to get help (Oranga Tamariki website)