We advocate for the interests, rights and wellbeing of children and young people

Article 16 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCROC) says that all children and young people “have the right to legal protection from unlawful or unreasonable interference with your privacy (including personal information held about you), your family and your communications”

If the media has breached a child's right to privacy through a TV or radio programme or a print publication and you want to know what you can do, or you'd like to know how you can help your children stay safe online, this page has the information you need. 

What can I do if the media has breached a child's right to privacy?

If you think a child's privacy has been breached by a TV or radio programme, you can make a complaint directly to the Broadcasting Standards Authority (BSA).

If the breach was in a newspaper, magazine or periodical, you need to make your complaint to the editor.  If they don't respond within 10 working days, or you're not happy with their response, you can make a complaint to the Press Council.

How can I help my children stay safe online?

There are lots of great resources available about staying safe online and dealing with issues, including:

  • NetSafe.org.nz - NetSafe’s advice on everything from cyberbullying to copyright to scams
  • Theorb.org.nz - a quick and secure way to report online incidents from objectionable material to child exploitation

For more information or advice

  • Call our Child Rights Line free on 0800 224 453 from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or email advice@occ.org.nz.  If you need an interpreter, just ask for language line and the language you want when you call us