We publish a range of reports, working papers, submissions and corporate documents
Getting It Right. The Children’s Convention in Aotearoa
13 November 2017
The report looks at how New Zealand is putting the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (Children’s Convention) into practice, and where it can do better.
The report makes three recommendations that Government can put into place immediately:
• Make sure policy and legislative reform are child-centred and rights-based. Identify where children’s rights are not being met, what needs to be done, who will do the work, timeframes for implementation and how the work will be monitored.
• Allocate responsibility and resources to coordinate the implementation of the Children’s Convention across government.
• Ensure children and young people’s views are taken into consideration in the development of legislation and policies.
- Getting It Right. The Children's Convention in Aotearoa (pdf 841 KB)
- Getting it Right - Commentary by Judge Andrew Becroft (pdf 179 KB)
- Media release UMG report (pdf 129 KB)